Conditions that Cause Hair Loss in Men
For individuals experiencing hair loss or are worried about losing hair, ‘the causes of hair loss’ stands out as one of the most challenging topics. For the purposes of this article, we will addressing the actual causes behind hair loss as well as shed some light on a few rumors that have been generated.
Why Do Men Experience Hair Loss?
Male pattern baldness also referred as androgenetic alopecia or genetic hair loss, is one of the common forms of hair loss depicted in men. Men are naturally prone to thinning hair any time after puberty. Among men in their 20’s, approximately 20% experience male pattern baldness. Whereas men in their 40’s face a 40% rate of occurance and a 50% rate of occurance in their 50’s.
Male pattern baldness is a genetic condition that is generally inherited from the parents.
Hair loss can also be triggered by Dihydrotestosterone or DHT, a breakdown product of the hormone testosterone that is caused by the enzyme 5-alpha reductase, converting testosterone into DHT. Hair follicle exposed to DHT begin to shrink and the growth stage becomes shorter. The end result is thinner and shorter hair strands. Over a period of time, hair follicles will reach to a phase where they are no longer capable of producing hair. Men experience hair loss when more than half of the hair follicles within a particular area of their scalp are exposed to DHT.
There are also some myths on the causes of hair loss that have been put forward; Here are some of those myths;
1.Wearing a Hat
Normally wearing a hat, unless it is too tight or causing friction, will not give rise to hair loss.
2. Poor Scalp Hygiene
This theory is not supported by any scientific evidence. If this was true then people living in societies with limited water supplies and therefore unable to take a bath should have all been bald.
3. Frequent washing makes hair fall out:
The act of washing dislodges hairs that have already become detached and are ready to come out.
A majority of hair dye products contain chemicals that may cause hair breakage. However they rarely cause hair loss.
Using styling products such as hair jel, hair spray or wax
Styling products like hair jel, foams or wax, if not used as required, can be harmful to your scalp or can damage the hair. It is advised to apply these products only to the hair and avoid direct contact to the scalp. Additionally, cosmetic products do not damage the hair follicles and cause hair loss.
Stress can lead to temporary hair loss. However, hair will likely grow back once the source of stress is eliminated. Generally, the cause of hair loss in men is not due to stress.
You now have a solid understanding of the leading causes of hair loss in men. If you or someone close to you has started to experience hair loss, we encourage you to see a doctor to find the right diagnosis and best treatment plan. If you would like to consult Dr. Serkan Aygın and undergo a medical examination, you can reach us through the contact information on our website and schedule an appointment.
- Hair Simulation / Scalp Micropigmentation / Hair Tattoo
- Hair Transplantation Istanbul
- Elements That Determine The Quality of a Hair Transplant Clinic
- Bio Fiber Hair Transplant
- 10 Major Forms of Hair Loss Experienced Around The World
- Answers To Your 10 Most Important Hair Transplant Questions
- DHI Hair Transplant Technique Without Shaving
- What to Expect From a FUE Hair Transplant Procedure
- Eyebrow Transplant with FUE Method
- The 4 Most Frequently Asked Questions About FUE Hair Transplant
- 5 Factors That Contribute to a “Failed Hair Transplant”
- Elements that Determine the Cost of a Hair Transplant Surgery
- The Role of Stem Cells & Hair Cloning in Hair Transplant
- 5 Crucial Steps to a Successful Hair Transplant
- PRP Treatment For Hair Loss
- DHI (Direct Hair Transplant) What is DHI Hair Transplant?
- Frequently Asked Questions About The FUE Hair Transplant
- Conditions that Cause Hair Loss in Men
- Androgenetic Alopecia Condition in Men
- Hair Transplant Recovery Tips