Answers To Your 10 Most Important Hair Transplant Questions
Getting a hair transplant is a serious decision.
Often, choosing to have a medical procedure comes with certain concerns. Apprehensions about the process and results are normal, but alleviating these concerns is possible through research and education.
To ensure you have all of the facts before making a decision, here is some information about 10 apprehensions that people have about getting a hair transplant.
1. Can there be hair loss after a transplant?
It’s important to realise that a successful hair transplant goes through multiple healing stages. During one of those stages, you will see some hair loss. However, this is only temporary. Two to four weeks after surgery, you will see a notable amount of hair falling out.
This is a natural part of the healing process associated with a follicular unit extraction, or FUE hair transplant. Hair is transplanted by removing small groups of hairs and relocating them to the desired area. However, the process “shocks” the scalp and follicles. This shock effluvium causes follicles to reset temporarily. During that time, hair will initially fall out.
Then, after the shock subsides, the follicles will begin growing new hair.
2. Can an FUE hair transplant fail after a successful procedure?
A common concern is whether you can lose the hair again even if the FUE hair transplant is successful. You can rest assured that transplant failure after a successful procedure is incredibly rare. One cause for noticeable hair fall over years after a successful hair transplant is Telogen effluvium.
This happens when a large portion of the follicles, often near 10 percent, entered a resting state. During that time, those hairs stop growing. And, once they wake up, they push the old hair out of the follicle to make way for new hairs. This gives the appearance of hair loss, though it is only temporary. However, certain medical conditions can impact hair growth regardless of the initial hair transplant success.
3. What medical conditions can cause hair loss at hair transplant sites?
In rare situations, a medical condition can damage the follicles causing hair loss. For example, a diffuse form of Alopecia Areata can cause hair loss to recur. Lichen planopilaris can also cause hair loss to return.
4. Can lifestyle choices cause new hair loss after an FUE hair transplant?
Here are situations that can lead to hair loss even if the hair transplant is successful. Certain medications can lead to hair loss. Information about medication-related hair loss can be found by researching potential side effects. Dietary choices and lifestyle factors like smoking and stress can also cause you to lose hair. Leading a healthy lifestyle lowers the risk that you will experience hair loss after a successful hair transplant.
5. What if I’m not a good candidate?
Every person considering a hair transplant is evaluated to determine if they are a good fit for the procedure. For example, individuals with certain health conditions may not get long-term results even if a hair transplant is successful. In some cases, genetic testing can determine whether these conditions are present, as well as a thorough medical history review.
It is also important that enough donor hair be available to support the procedure. Some people may not be ideal candidates in cases where expectations regarding the result are unrealistic. However, by discussing the outcome with a qualified surgeon prior to the procedure, it is possible this can be corrected.
6. Is an FUE hair transplant painful?
The amount of pain experienced depends on the individual. During the procedure, a local anaesthetic is administered to numb the area. These initial injections can be uncomfortable, though the discomfort is temporary.
Once the anaesthetic begins working, you shouldn’t feel any pain associated with the FUE hair transplant procedure. Additionally, the anaesthetic prevents pain for a period of time immediately after the procedure is complete. After surgery, you may feel some discomfort and tenderness, but this is typically mild. In many cases, you will be able to resume normal activities the next day as long as they aren’t too strenuous.
7. Is the hair transplant surgery long?
A hair transplant can take anywhere from a couple of hours to most of a day depending on the amount of hair that will be transplanted. However, most people are able to participate in activities to help pass the time, such as reading a book or watching a movie. Most patients find the amount of time required is perfectly manageable.
8. Will it look natural?
The FUE hair transplant involves transplanting only one to four hairs at a time. This allows attention to be paid to more than just the location of the hair, but the angle and direction at which it is transplanted. This allows each hair to be placed strategically, creating a more natural result.
9. How long does it take for a FUE hair transplant in Turkey to heal?
Healing times vary from one individual to the next. Most people will experience notable healing within 10 to 14 days after the procedure. At times, additional redness will persist after the initial two weeks, but this will fade with time.
10. Does a beard transplant have different risks?
Beard transplants offer a similar experience to a regular hair transplant. Discomfort, procedure time, and healing processes are comparable.
The Bottom Line
While having apprehensions about a hair transplant are common, the procedure is generally considered low risk. Most men suffering from standard male pattern baldness are likely to be suitable candidates, depending on the presence of any health concerns.
Further, a successful hair transplant is designed to provide long-lasting results. If you are considering a hair transplant, you can schedule a consultation with a skilled professional that allows your unique situation to be considered when determining whether the procedure is right for you. As Dr. Serkan Aygin Clinic, everything we do serves to improve the health and well-being of our patients. If you would like us to address your hair-loss condition and provide you with the correct diagnosis, you can always contact us.
- Elements That Determine The Quality of a Hair Transplant Clinic
- Bio Fiber Hair Transplant
- 10 Major Forms of Hair Loss Experienced Around The World
- Answers To Your 10 Most Important Hair Transplant Questions
- DHI Hair Transplant Technique Without Shaving
- What to Expect From a FUE Hair Transplant Procedure
- Eyebrow Transplant with FUE Method
- The 4 Most Frequently Asked Questions About FUE Hair Transplant
- 5 Factors That Contribute to a “Failed Hair Transplant”
- Elements that Determine the Cost of a Hair Transplant Surgery
- The Role of Stem Cells & Hair Cloning in Hair Transplant
- 5 Crucial Steps to a Successful Hair Transplant
- PRP Treatment For Hair Loss
- DHI (Direct Hair Transplant) What is DHI Hair Transplant?
- Frequently Asked Questions About The FUE Hair Transplant
- Conditions that Cause Hair Loss in Men
- Androgenetic Alopecia Condition in Men
- Hair Transplant Recovery Tips
- Hair Transplant For Women
- Basics of FUE Hair Transplantation